Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Blue Gender Review

First off, I couldn't finish this show. I just couldn't. One of the main characters got increasingly more and more obnoxious. I made it to episode 20 out of 26.

Lets jump to the story. Blue Gender is set in the mid 2000's. A world over run by bug like monsters, named Blue. A young man is awaken from over a decade of slumber. A young woman from a space station comes down with a rescue party and finds young man. Romance, action, and gory violence ensue. Did I mention that everything in this anime is graphic?

There is a lot of cursing and death, a few episodes with nudity and brief sex scenes. Not for kids!

The voice acting was rather poor. I'm not sure if this is due to a bad Dub Script or that the actors just didn't care. The show has it's moments with good acting, but mostly it's over the top or dry.

The art work isn't bad for it's time. Bodies are pretty fluidly drawn. The Blue are pretty grotesque looking, which works very well to bring you into the story.

The entire show wasn't bad. The first 10-12 episodes were very exciting, and had a great progression to them. Then they get on the space station and the plot.... slows way the hell down. By the time it picks back up they decide to completely change the leading male characters personality. I could see how logically he changed, and they do give a reason for it. But why did they turn him into such a whiny jerk? I assume that they were going to use it to show some sort of redemption, or a lost man finding his humanity again. After watching 3 more episodes then I really wanted to. I lost any interest in finding out where they were going with it.

If you're going to watch this show, watch Blue Gender: The Warrior. It takes 26 episodes and reduces it to an hour and 30 mins. I give Blue Gender 6 exploding monsters out of 10. (I would have given it a lower score, but those first 10-12 episodes are great.)

No comments:

Post a Comment